Published March 16, 2020
Does your dark upper lip bother you? Well, the first thing you should know is that it is usually should not be a cause for concern. However, discoloration of the upper lip can be embarrassing for some.
If you have an awkward dark upper lip, here are some awesome, proven, and tested natural ways you can try to lighten them.
What Causes Dark Upper Lips?
The most common cause of lip discoloration is hyperpigmentation. Hyperpigmentation happens when there is excessive production of melanin – the pigment responsible for one’s skin color. (e.g., tanning of skin when exposed to sunlight.) While it is harmless, it is sometimes an indicator of another medical condition. Here are the causes of hyperpigmentation:
- Pregnancy: Due to hormone level changes, pregnant women are prone to hyperpigmentation.
- Medications: Several drugs can cause hyperpigmentation, such as cytotoxic agents, analgesics, anticoagulants, antimicrobials, antiretrovirals, and many more.
- Smoking: Exposure to nicotine can result in lip discoloration.
- Sun exposure: Exposure to sunlight stimulates the melanocyte-stimulating hormone, which then stimulates the melanin to produce to protect your skin from UV light.
- Medical Condition: Some diseases can make your lips look pale and dark such as Anemia.
How To Lighten Dark Lips Naturally
Apple Cider Vinegar
1. Chemical Peel
By applying chemical solutions, especially glycolic acid – the most gentle exfoliant for the lips – the top skin layer of your mouth exfoliates, which then promotes the growth of new and unpigmented skin. A dermatologist must do this procedure as the skin on your lips is among the most delicate on your face, and chemical solutions might burn and easily damage it.
2. Lip Pigmentation Laser Treatment
Lip lightening laser treatment is a non-invasive treatment used in reducing the darkness of the lips. The heat energy of the laser targets the melanin and reduce its formation. It also exfoliates the top layer of the lips and gives it a new and more natural-looking color.
3. Lightening Creams
Lightening creams are also effective in treating dark upper lip, and most of them can be bought over the counter. These topical medications contain skin-lightening chemicals such as hydroquinone and kojic acid.
How To Prevent Your Upper Lip from Darkening
- Apply sunscreen with high SPF
- Avoid too much exposure from the sun
- Apply moisturizer on your lips
- Don’t smoke
The skin of the lips is one of the most delicate parts of your face. And while hyperpigmentation should not be a cause for concern, it can make a person feel embarrassed and lose confidence over time.
Several home remedies can lighten your dark upper lip. But if your case is more severe, you might want to consider medical treatments like the ones mentioned above. However, be sure that these procedures will be conducted by a professional to ensure safety.
Looking For A Medical Spa?
If you are looking for a medical spa, we provide the best medical aesthetic treatments here in Royal Aesthetic Center. From facial care to body treatments, you’ll surely have the best result one can have. Contact us and schedule your free consultation today!
About The Author
As an avid beauty fan, Franchette Agatha Jardin wants to spread to the world the ways on how to achieve their dream look. If she recommends something-or anything!-it’s because she already tried it!